Monday, November 22, 2004

Bangladeshi bracelet


Is this gorgeous or what? It is so delicate and simple and weights almost nothing! Lacquered wood beads and silk thread. Very nice. I got it from my friend Hafi after he came back from his trip to Bangladesh. He is such a sweetheart, always brings my hubby and me presents.


Bangladeshi bracelet


I haven’t really done much design lately, feeling all bombed out about a little something in the personal department… but I had planned on buying a number of pretty beads today to make a hemp necklace.

Phoey, phoey. I went to the local bead store and took 5 bucks (well, I took 20, but I was planning on only using only 5). While the beads in the store are more expensive than they would be online (wholesale is nice), I can purchase beads one-by-one. So if I only need 4 crystals… then I only buy 4 crystals. Anyway, the last time I went to scout for beads I noticed these beautiful turquoise-like porcelain beads. I actually bought a pair for about 5 cents each and made a cute pair of earrings. So today I figured, I could buy 50 of those and a few wooden ones for accents for a set of necklace, bracelet and earrings that I had in mind.

The store was out on that particular color… so I saw similar ones in tan with spots, same size, 4-6mm. The way they have the beads in the store is that they are all in frames or small containers next to each other. A sticker on the edge tells you the price. So I counted the beads and went to pay. They weren’t 5 cents :( apparently they were 35… erm… that would be 17.50 so I couldn’t take them. Funny thing was that while they didn’t have the ones I had originally wanted, they had others of the same style but 12mm, and others cubed, and in pendant shapes. Those were 35 and 45 cents. So why would the smaller beads be more expensive?

The lady told me that the 5-cent price I had seen was not for those beads, but for the ones next to them. Oh wells. So I returned them to their place and left the store all ashamed. Now I feel bad because what if she thought that I had tried to put a cheaper price on the item on purpose (they give you a sheet of paper and you list your own items and write down the price yourself… sort of a trust system).

~_~ Oh well.

1 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... think you could share those sites online for whole sale beads? I've tried searching for some in the past, but didn't have much luck. All of our decent beading stores here in AK are in Anchorage, which is a wee bit far away from Fairbanks.

^_^

~lOrE~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home