Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Hourglass


Alright. This is a basic full square knot design, with the occasional thread switch in order to make that little weave in between beads. What’s that? Well, let’s break it down.

I made this one with 4 strings (each about 4.5 feet in length). The strings are set parallel to each other. You make a knot and hang them somewhere to hold the strings while you weave. The outer strings are the ones used for knotting while the two inner strings are simply used for spacing (the more strings in the middle, the thicker the jewelry gets).

Let’s look at it with some sort of image. The outer strings are red and spacers are regular color.
| | | |

After doing some weaving
_____
_____
_____
|
| | |


I switch the cords
| | | |


It would be more obvious in the necklace if I had been using color hemp, but… I don’t have color hemp. *laughs* I wish I could buy more. My local store only sells small little bunches (enough for one necklace), and with all the mistakes I make in the measurements, that simply is not enough. I currently have a 600ft ball of hemp, which is perfect for my trial and errors. When I find a place that sells color hemp by the quantity (and at an affordable price), I’ll probably start making neater jewelry.


Hourglass

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home