Saturday, September 25, 2004

Busy Two Days


My husband helped organize a series of soccer matches at his work. Some sort of mini world cup for the warehouse, so it was up to the manager and the systems admin to get everything ready for this Saturday… Shawn (Mr. Manager) bought all things necessary for preparation of the games (jerseys, special paper, food, sodas, etc, etc) and ZA (Mr. Admin) was in charge of arranging the matches and creating the team logos and the cup… that meant that I would be the one taking the supplies and making them pretty on behalf of the Hubby.

So he brought me the materials on Thursday night and I made small flags which were then printed on a special ‘Fabric Paper.’ This paper is a treated cotton sheet that has adhesive on the back. You make your design and use an inkjet to print the image on the paper. Once it dries you can peel the back of the paper and place the cotton fabric on wherever it is supposed to go. I knew about the paper because I am always checking out paper costs for my 2-D works, but this was the first time that I actually worked with it. It is pretty expensive as well – about 5 bucks per letter-sized sheet, and unfortunately it is Non-washable, meaning that it is best for projects that are never going to get dirty (so don’t’ use it on clothes!). Apparently the fabric doesn’t retain the color too well. I would have used another type of paper, the ‘Transfer Paper’ or ‘Iron-transfer Paper.’ Same concept: 1) design the image; 2) INVERT image; 3) print using an ink-jet. 4) place on fabric with image down; 5) Iron! This one is washable and the sheets cost about a dollar each… But of course, I don’t’ think my husband or Shawn would have been ironing the flag logos on the shirts at work. So I guess these will be a one-time use shirts.

He also gave me a glass and a rubber ball… “That’s the trophy. Can you make it pretty?”

… ummmmmmmm. So there I was with a long beer glass and a neon rubber ball the size of a grapefruit. Hmmmmm. Only one thing to do to disguise it as a trophy! Papier Mache!

That took me since 1pm until about 11 at night to finish. I glued the pieces, covered them, dried the paper goo with the dryer, then painted them. I used gold pain for the cut (of course) and brown for the base. I think I went wrong on the base, maybe I should have left the whole thing gold… anyway. I used silver paper for the name plate and voila. I managed to improvise him a decent trophy for the guys’ little tournament.


Copa Bodega


It was a busy Friday and apparently it was worth it. His work buddies loved the shirts with their neat flags and the captain of the winning team took home a cute little trophy. ^_^

Now the update on the kitties: Chico is hunting down Chiquita!!! This is hilarious. The little things begins to chase Chiquita and she runs all around the house with him at her heels. Of course, once she gets tired she just turns around and slaps him once sending him careering across the room and that settles him down. There is still hostility from Chiquita towards Chico, but after warning him several times she just leaves on her own accord to another room. It’s better than before when she would just hide at some corner and would hiss at anything that got near her. Right now we can pet her for a bit and stuff.

Oh I made ‘Identity’ collars for the two of them. ^_^ I made them out of glass seed beads using a loom. The collars have the name of the kitty and our number so in case that they ever get lost, whoever finds them can easily just give us a call.


Chiquita's collar; phone number blurred... I don't want prank calls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home