Friday, October 08, 2004

Beading Stitches X_x


Since I ‘quit’ my job as a web developer I have ben looking for ways to keep me busy at home. While posting like mad at my favorite groups is great I should definitely be doing more. I don’t have to worry about programming now, since I pretty much finished all projects with clients - although, I know that every once in a while one will ask me for a specific change, etc. So I decided to expand on my knowledge of jewelry making.

So I’ve been working on going outside of the single strand jewelry to the more complex styles, mainly those involving sizes 6, 8, 10 and 11 beads. So I pretty much know how to use a loom. Now I need to learn basic stitch patterns as well.

Here’s a basic Square Stitch. It’s nice and makes the same pattern as loom beading, except that in here you add the beads one-by-one. It seems to be less secure than loom patterns, so I probably have to change the width of my thread.


Square Stitch


One can pretty much do long chains for purse necks, or bracelets, or perhaps straps for whatever I’m doing. This one is a 3-bead one, with little tension… It works better using bugle beads, which are long, thing tubes, but I had no bugle beads so I had to improvise. The technique that I needed to learn was what mattered.


Three bead neck


Finally I worked on two very similar patterns: the Brick and the Peyote stitch styles. Pretty much both resemble a brick wall the difference is that in the brick style one works horizontally from right to left and back, while with Peyote one must work up and down, vertically. Both can be paired up when finished, as in the image. The peyote stitch is the more complicated of the two, but both create a very firm and solid patch since the thread keeps going around the beads for at least twice on each.


Brick Stitch; Peyote Stitch

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home