Thursday, July 29, 2004

What a hectic morning


My husband left for New York at 5:45am, but things would have been less stressful in the morning had we woken up at 3:20 as originally intended.

We have one of those alarm clocks that can have different times set for weekends and weekdays. He generally plays around with the times, depending on how tired he is. Most of the time he changes the times by 10 or 15 minutes. Well, last night he changed the settings for 3:20am and before going to bed he asked me to check it. I turned it on and saw the 3:20, no pm next to it, so I told him it was fine. It was a little before midnight and I told him I was not sleepy, that perhaps he should just let me stay awake and then after I dropped him off the next day at around 4 that I would come back and sleep all the way through. He insisted, ‘I cannot sleep without you’, etc, etc so I turned in.

I remember stirring up and kicking the covers aside and I pushed him a little while doing it. The next thing I hear is “oh no! Shit!”, so I pick up my head and I ask, “What’s the matter?!” , “It’s FIVE!” I checked the clock; the alarm was set at 3:20… but for Sunday.

Darn. We’re talking… Five am… plane leaves at 5:45, gates close at around 5:30-something and we’re about 20 minutes away, driving fast... and the truth is that we didn’t really wake up at five - it was like 9 after. I pulled up jeans and a blouse while he was running around tucking in his toiletries (he was supposed to wake up early enough to take a shower and then pack those bath items). Well, we got out the driveway and the car clock said 5:22.

I dug my nails onto the seat all the way to the airport. He was going over 80 in the city, cursing at every single driver that dared to go the actual speed limit. Finally we got there 3 minutes after 30. He took out his bags and ran inside. I began to circle around thinking that there would be the probability that the airport people would not let him in, since he still needed to get boarding pass, check in the luggage, and then get the whole checkup thingy at the gates… plus the lady on the speakers was announcing that gates to flight 2728 were ‘now closed.’ I went around the front once more and he was coming out, I thought they had refused him so I was already taking out my wallet to make some sort of last minute changes to the ticket and hopefully get him a seat aboard the next earliest plane.

Nope. He just needed the cel phone. I handed it to him by the window and he shouted a hasty “I love you!” while I shouted back, “Yes, yes! Go!” and he ran back inside. I parked, just in case. At 5:56am I left back for home…

Husband called me at 7:20am from Houston. I was waiting for that call since 7am. Things went okay and he was going to the next gate. He said that here in Brownsville, gate check still made him wait longer before boarding… They made him take off his shoes, belt, went through the entire luggage, phone, PDA, and his documents. He was laughing as he told me, the stress already gone. I reminded him to please find a bathroom and to at least wash his face when he had time.

Oh man… I had bought him this really nice shirt to wear today so that his parents wouldn’t see him all crappy… Darn, the first thing he got was the shirt that he had used at work yesterday. ~_~ Now they’re gonna say I don’t take care of him… which I don’t, actually… but still… that’s not for the in-laws to know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home