Thursday, April 07, 2005

Oiii


I’m feeling a little weird.

For the past month Hubby has been researching here and there for the best Projector for his money. Nothing too fancy but with our current budget anything would still be in the high price area.

He almost had me convinced and it was just a matter of deciding one brand over another. The price would be 25 or so a month for about 3 years. Twenty-five a month really isn’t that much and since we are one month away from finishing off my new furniture (on lay-away at the moment), he would just use that freed-up money for the gadget.

Today he called me during his lunch hour and said that he had decided on a Dell projector, he didn’t go into specifications, but I am sure it is around 1200-1500 lumens (the higher this number the more light you can have in the room and still see a clear picture), and SVGA or XVGA (display resolution), with enough ports to connect his laptop, the DVD player, or the TV... There was another brand (can’t remember it at this moment) that had pretty good reviews, came bundled with a screen, and had a 3-year warranty and I asked how come he hadn’t chosen that one.

He said that the lamp lifetime of that projector was 2000 hours and the price of each lamp was about $500, and that the lamp price for the Dell projector was a little over $200. I was like... umm... you did not say anything about no lamps! And each projector has at least 2 lamps.

We watch a movie daily, some along the lines of 3 hours each and this is during the weekdays. About 5 movies during the weekend. That’s 120 a month which means we would be purchasing from 500-600 dollars worth of projector lamps every 16 months...

Our Sony TV cost us 900 bucks 3 years ago and it hasn’t needed anything replaced yet.

“But mi vida! We probably won’t use it that much, only for like Super Bowl season and that. Plus is just 25 bucks a month.”

Yeah, 25 dollars is no big deal but... two days ago, his dad called from Bangkok. His parents had gone to Thailand because his mom had to have an operation. They had problems at the hospital because they wouldn’t accept his Bangladeshi account, so he called to ask if Hubby could wire transfer $8,000 from here, the States and that as soon as they returned to Bangladesh that they’d send the money to pay us back. My Husband, very apologetically told him he couldn’t because he did not have that cash handy... not even in credit cards. And it is the truth. We live day-by-day.

So after finding out that his parents had required his assistance and Husband hadn’t been able to help, but that his sister did... How could I even allow for such eccentricities to be purchased for my home?! His family don’t hold us in the best of places because of what I am (and am not) and because of how ‘he has changed’... imagine if they find out that the same week that his mom was undergoing surgery that he purchased an expensive gadget?

I felt his disappointment when he said “oh, okay... you’re right” and it made me feel so guilty that I couldn’t comply with him on this but... oh man.

No. No. I’m right. Yes, I am.

2 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger Darv said...

I always thought that a projector would be really cool for some uber gaming and movies, but the price of them lamps will kill ya. I think i would rather get a Giant TFT instead... Oh the delusions of grandure I have. =p

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Kitty said...

hahahah. I know right? I told him that if he wanted that he had to get me a bigger house first.

Although, he borrowed a projector from a friend yesterday and came home with it. He immediately set itup and yadda yadda...

>_< GAWWWWWWWWW IT'S SOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!

I... MUST... RESIST... URGE... TO BUY... ARRRGGGHHHH

 

Post a Comment

<< Home