Saturday, April 03, 2004

Oh the deadlines...


Spent most of today inside the office at mom's store. I really wanted to keep moving with the project I am working on. My husband went with me and we were both working on the site's code. We were supposed to finish this site then end of March, but the client seems to be more interested in the e-commerce are of the site (which is not wrong, of course) than giving us the actual information that he wishes to have on the site. So I send him templates and he tells me "Where's the text?" Well... Perhaps if instead of having me make his calls to the banks and merchants he would make them himself I wouldn't spend 4 hrs a day on hold by the operators. At some point I just stopped working on the project altogether. He kept changing opinions on the site's content and asked my opinion on what type of marketing material he should use to promote the site. Yes, I can recommend some things, but I am not going to be proofreading his letters. I give him links of the service providers that I have been in contact with the past and that is all... It is not my fault if they do not offer what he has in mind. And just for kicks, I actually researched for a provider that offers just what he needs and did not find one yet. I am not saying that there isn't one out there... Oh.. There IS. But those are more likely custom made gateways and accounts for big companies like Toyota or WalMart, etc., etc., who pay thousands upon thousands to a complete team of programmers. I do not think he can afford that at the moment, so I find him the alternatives... If he doesn't like them, then there is nothing I can do. I won't program that for him because to put it simply, he'd have to hire me for a year and not with hourly wages.

Well, Z and I decided that the longer we wait for him to give us information, the more stuff he would ask us to keep adding or researching (outside of the original quote, by the way). What started with a 200 page, database driven project has expanded to 400 with over 1500 dynamically created extra pages (and let's not talk about images just yet). Dynamic... So no big deal... If we didn't have to capture the text data for those 1500+ pages ourselves. He's supposed to give us that... But all he does is give us links and tell us to look in those. We did that in the beginning, but it ended up that we would not exactly capture what he wanted on his site, so we told him... You give it to us. Makes it so much simpler, that way we are not guessing at what he wants or not. Plus, we do not get involved in copyright issues. If the client gives me stuff, then I am to assume he got permission to use that information or he wrote it himself.

Well... Now let's hope I do not have to move my deadline again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home