Saturday, April 16, 2005

Saving Money


I think I just saved a little over 7 bucks in laundry detergent per month. Big deal eh? Well yes. I can put aside those 7 dollars and buy me a nice little dress or a new flash drive with tons of GBs after a year. See, Liquid detergent runs from 3 to 5 dollars and I buy a new 100oz bottle about every 2 weeks. My detergents usually costs 3.75 plus the tax and all that. Well, I was running very low on detergent this week and when I went to my Mom’s to feed the doggie (she’s out of town) I noticed she had a bar of Don Maximo at the sink. Don Maximo is a bar soap used in Mexico to wash clothes by hand, soak things that are extremely dirty (oil, paint, etc), and a diverse other things. I used to see it used a lot by men too because it is great for getting rid of oil stains. And it smells nice and clean too. It is sort of rough and it resembles face scrub.


Two bars of Don Maximo


One can buy this soap for about 60 cents a bar if bought in the US... But I know she usually keeps stocked up on things she likes so I went to the pantry closet and took several bars of it for moi. Hehehe. She had like 5 cases of the stuff. It’s great living next to Mexico. ^_^ Can buy so much with a few dollars.

So I came home, put a small container with water and dissolved one bar or soap. Made this nice thick solution with still some chunks that did not get dissolved. I poured it in my empty container of Purex, filled it with more water and began to do laundry. This will last me more than 2 weeks since I need a lot less than a full cap to wash (and I will be helping the environment since I am recycling my plastic container over and over again) .

So for now, I won’t have to buy detergent for about hmmm 3 to 4 months. ^_^ and when I do... it shouldn’t be more than 64 cents a month. ... well... not really. I’m just going to ask my Mother for more.

Mwahaha.

15 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, Blogger Darv said...

Another 84 bucks a year in the pocket.

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Kitty said...

Well, the bar is actually a grayish color (think of a washed off cement color) but I've seen them in different packaging (the new Don Maximo) but I havne't tried that one. There is another brand called Zote (Jabon Zote, it's a play on words that when read together it means Big Soap) and that one comes in pink and blue. Also a very nice product that is less harsh (Mother has a couple of cases of that too) on the hands. Maybe that's the blue one you're talking about. I've only used the pink Zote.

And yes, 84 bucks is pretty good to save a year. If not used for something for me, it can be a good anniversary present for Hubby. :D One of those Hummer2 toys or something. ^_^

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Darv said...

An intresting idea. Although I do not use as much detergent when doing cloths a month, I should see if there is a simmilar product available in PA.

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Kitty said...

Hm. My husband doesn't use as much either. He can make a little cup last like forever. Another guy thing? haha!

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Darv said...

Probably is =þ I guess I am just really conservative on the detergent. I was adding a full cup to most loads of laundry, until i found that heavier cloths, like sweaters, never had all the suds washed out of them. i then cut back on detergent usage to about a half a cup. Between the two of us, I think I only need to do about 2~4 loads of laundry a week.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Knitty Cat said...

I have been having the *hardest* time finding that soap! I love it, but I can't get it anywhere! Where did you get it?

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Kitty said...

Well, I live next to the border. :D It's a common detergent around here.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger greenturtle said...

If you live close to the border, will you please ship me a bar of Maximo. I live in Florida.

Greentule

 
At 4:31 PM, Anonymous RANDI said...

HEY, I JUST SEEN THIS SOAP HERE -
www.showcasevintage.etsy.com

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

For a year I have asked friends to bring me back bars of Don Maximo now that I am almost out of it. I think it is the greatest and I originally got it in Saskatchewan from friends returning from Mexico. Now noone seems to be able to locate it there. I contacted Procter and Gamble since their name is connected with it. They said they don't know where it can be purchased and told me to try international import stores!! hmmmm
I am in Mesa, AZ. Can anyone tell me how to get 2bars please????? I am presently using my last two tiny slivers of soap. THANKS.

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found some on EBay. I love this stuff! I was a live in caregiver for a woman that went to Mexico a lot and she had several bars in the laundry room. I took a couple of bars when I moved out after she passed away and wish I had taken more.

 
At 2:39 AM, Blogger wickedmermaid said...

HEY EVERYBODY....Have you ever heard of Ebay??? There's a lot of it listed as we speak!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Aln2015 said...

Is anyone worried that is not greywater safe?????

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's greywater safe but epa states not environmentally safe

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course TRI sodium phosphate (tsp) was also banned for phosphates. I'm having trouble figuring out why they're allowing tsp in Lucky Charms... Check ur labels people 😎

 

Post a Comment

<< Home