Friday, April 16, 2004

What a week...


It has been such a hectic week. Mom's closing the store so I've had to terminate contracts, write letters, pack equipment, move furniture, so on and so forth. Most of the things we would like to get rid of because they are simply too big to store in any of our houses. While I can have 4 computers in my house, 10 is just a tat too much. Not to mention I'd also have to bring the desks, shelves, display cases, etc, etc. So we placed a couple of ads in the newspaper and some people have come to check out the stuff. Mostly people from businesses wanting to get more equipment at a liquidation price, which is fine with me as long as they don't expect me to just give stuff away especially since all our stuff is in very good condition (my mother is a cleanliness true believer) and fairly 'new.'

So far we have been selling to people that just walk in to get a regular service and then find out that we are selling the stuff. For a business a couple of hundreds may seem to high to pay for a piece of office furniture, but for a regular person it's a sweet deal - I just sold our lunchroom wood table with 4 chairs for 50 bucks... The thing is dark wood and weights at least 20 lbs a chair! None of that economy store stuff.

Highlight of the day - I had an exchange of heated words with some guy in the back alley. I took my mom out to eat and when we were turning to park in our area (behind the store there is a one-way alley to our parking) this guy had his big truck parked right on the street opposing traffic. So we were 'going' and he seemed to be 'coming.' So I stopped my car and we waited nose to nose with his truck. He had our parking behind him (we have room for a bout 3 or 4 cars in there) and we had... The street with all incoming traffic behind us. The guy takes his sweet time and then gets in the truck and turn on the engine. We look at each other and he raises his arms as if saying 'now what?'. I make signs telling him to back up. He shakes his head vigorously and signals me to back up. Here I am, looking behind at all the coming cars (weren't really on the main street, but perpendicular to it; T style) and decide that it is simpler for him to back up because he has no cars behind him and all the parking space just to scoot over so I can pass to My parking area.

So we keep up signaling each other to move back and my mother gets down to tell him. He said something and she comes back telling me to just back up and I asked why? Was he towing something that was not allowing him to move back on this somewhat narrow road? He kept up making sign and telling me to move and I get down.

"Sir, that's my parking area. We work here."

"It's not important if you work here or not. Move back so I can get out."

"It doesn't cost you Anything to move back."

"It doesn't cost you anything either."

"Well I am not going to. You have no cars behind you and I have a the entire flow of 10 street! MOVE BACK. THIS IS MY PLACE, I PAY THE CITY FOR THIS ALLEY"

"I PAY TOO!"

"WELL I DON'T CARE. YOU MOVE NOW OR I CALL THE POLICE. YOU ARE GOING ON THE OPPOSITE WAY AND YOU KNOW IT SO JUST MOVE BACK."

"Fine, I'll do you THE FAVOR-"

"You are doing No Favor to me because you are WRONG and you know it. SO MOVE. ANDELE!" I snapped my fingers because by this time I was already super pissed. Then I turned and got in my car and waited for the guy to back away. I parked and he went.

Pfft! As if I was going to back away because he just felt like driving on the opposite direction of incoming traffic, park to check his frickn' tires and then expect me to wait for him and move back into the coming car so that he could just waltz to the main road.

As IF!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home