Friday, July 15, 2005

Preparing for Emily


Well, I woke up rather late today at around 8:45. Did my basic cleaning got cleaned up myself and then checked Star Trek: Deep Space 9 at around eleven-ish when Hubby gave me a call. He was updating me on Hurricane Emily, said that it was going to fall on us. I knew it was going towards Yucatan but was sort of hoping it would slow back down to like category 1 when the showers would reach us. I checked the weather channel and the projected trajectory is as I figured. Right now it is heading to Jamaica and the Caiman Islands, then will move over Yucatan, Mex and then enter the Gulf. It will more than likely go into the Veracruz and Tamaulipas coasts (the neighboring Mexican states) and South Texas. The dot on the trajectory was rrriiiiiggght at the border, so for sure Matamoros Mexico and Brownsville Texas. The Rio Grande will overflow! :p

Anyway. Husband was asking if we should go buy wood for the windows and then travel to a city further up north (Laredo or San Antonio) but I said it shouldn’t be necessary. He’s never been in a hurricane before so he’s kinda nervous, I’ve been through like 5 and many different Tropical storms so I’m more used to the dance.

After the call I grabbed my keys and made a trip to Wal-Mart. I remember a couple of years ago when there was warning of a hurricane hitting us, everything on the stores was completely gone. So I wanted to get ready early and not be hours upon hours in line waiting to pay for overly priced stuff. I got there at noon and went straight for the water. One whole aisle was empty. I usually buy the Nestle 24 pack which sells 2 for about 5.30, but now they are at 3.98 each pack. I bought 3 of those and I found some Ozarka 2.5 gals so I got 2 of those too, as well as some for my grandma. Made my way to the Sporting Goods area to look for flashlights. Got 3 big 6V flashlights, 2 of those medium sized ones that use D batteries, and 1 of the smaller ones that uses AA. Then I got some batteries. I gotta say that the water aisle was almost empty and that the flashlights palette was like down to the last 8 boxes. The store started to get packed when I was paying for my items. I got exactly 20 items (also got some powder milk and food for the babies) so that I could use the fast lines.

I spent 73 bucks and change.

I put everything in my car then went back in to buy fruits and other non-cooking food in case of power outages next week. People were already starting to flood the store and it was sooooooo hot in there. Too many people.

4 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Typhoons (hurricanes) are fun ^_^ I've lost count of how many storms I've been through. My dad would make us go and get all loose items together, throw sand bags in the garbage cans or on top of, etc.

And then we'd sit inside and if we lost electricity, we played board games.

Those are times I treasure alot...

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Darv said...

Good thing we had lucky rain on our wedding day and not un-lucky hurricane on our honeymoon. One of the Playa del Carmen sites today showed the Secrets Capri with a foot of water all over the hotel >_<

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Kitty said...

I've had my big share of hurricanes. Most times we did pretty good at our area, but I hate the power failures.

Back in 1977 there was no light or water for over a week. We couldn't shower, couldn't cool off, little sleep because of the heat. I mean, sure, temperatures over here are not in the 120s as in the west, but still 95-105 can be pretty hot. And rain only makes it stuffy so you are always sweating.

Very uncomfortable.

Oh, we couldn't get sand bags. The city seems unorganized. The list for sand locations were announced Sunday evening and the lines were huge. I simply put everything that was on the yard inside the house - bikes, patio set, grill, hoses. Our area it high so hopefully we won't be getting flooded.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Kitty said...

Karnov, Lucky rain is indeed always better than Un-lucky hurricane, that's for sure! Lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home