Tuesday, June 14, 2005

DSL


Oh gaw

I’m such an idiot.

Well, SBC is offering this nice 14.95/month deal on new DSL accounts and Husband checked our number and our subdivision can finally get DSL. We have had RoadRunner since we moved here and it’s been fine, but 14.95 beats 29.95... We get 1 year for the price of 6 months if we stayed on RR!

So we went online and got everything scheduled and we got our DSL activation day for Friday, June 10. June 10 came and went and still no DSL activity (those particular lights in the modem are not turning on). So I did all I could technically do without stepping over warranty boundaries and all that and called Tech support Friday night because all that day the machine operator would say that the DSL could be connected Anytime on Friday. Well, Friday night the tech support can only help you with step-by-step indications on how to hook up the modem. They couldn’t really run tests on the line or anything because that department was already closed.

So Saturday I wait until about mid-day and give them a call again and similarly to what was said the previous night, I had to wait because the Provision office was closed (I am guessing these are the ones that handle the accounts). So I had to wait till Monday.

Monday I was feeling lazy and didn’t feel like messing with any other machines except for my washer and dryer so I didn’t give a call.

Today, after dropping off my car at the shop (the new bumper is here so it is getting installed to leave my car like new! :p Or close to it) I cleaned the house, yadda, yadda... and I gave a call. I was on hold for... I guess like 12 minutes if I added all the little ‘on holds’ that took to go from department to department and while diagnostics were ran.

Finally I get to talk to a lady in this Provision department and she tells me that the reason the lights aren’t going on is because my phone line needs some work to get the DSL working and that I had been rescheduled for Wednesday, 15, and that I had been informed and I had said ‘yes.’

Oops.

That’s right.

I remember that on Friday at around 4pm I got a call from a lady and she said something about sending a technician over to check my phone line. I asked if it had to do with the DSL installation at my home (I don’t want a technician to come set it up for me... that would be $200 installation and then the whole savings would go out the windows) and she said no that I would still doing my own installation, that the visit was to check lines on the back. “Oh. Well sure, I guess. I’ll be home just tell the technician to ring the bell if anything is needed.” And that was that.

Misunderstandings. Tomorrow’s visit will indeed be to check up on my phone line to Activate the DSL (manually, I suppose) but he won’t be installing it (the modem to the computer).

Apologies given from me (because I am such a dork), I thanked the lady for clarifying and hung up.

:p

I should really pay more attention to what people tell me over the phone... or ask more questions.

1 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Blogger Darv said...

I liked DSL when i had it avail when i lived w/ my parents. It was a great deal for the money and was still very decent speed. Cable companies charge too much it seems though they have direct competitors. Though i do like the speed i get with cable at times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home