Friday, July 22, 2005

Emily Is Totally Gone


Emily arrived later than expected. Weather people had predicted Emily to hit the coast at around 1 am but 1 came and went and we still didn’t have Emily anywhere near land. Husband and I went to bed and woke up at 6:30am after his alarm went on.

Hubby shook my shoulder and told me, “There’s no light.” I got up right away and noticed that my sheets were on the floor and that I was covered in a light sweaty mist. The lights probably went out an hour or so earlier. The phone line was still functional and I checked the water. We still had that so we hurried to shower and get ready in case that would be cut off later too. I pulled out my tiny 3-inch battery-based tv and searched for the local channel. Emily had arrived south of us in Tamaulipas Mexico at category 3. It was raining pretty hard outside and the wind speeds were those of a category 2. Not too bad, those are winds that are fairly withstand-able.

Since Emily hit at 6 something in the morning as opposed to 1 am, it could be somewhat dangerous to leave the home at that moment. Hubby and his workmates were calling one another trying to figure out what the course of action would be. Mexican news were saying that all 1st shifts for the day would be off. Mexico would not be working, obviously if the Mexican side was off then the warehouse would not have anything to do either so it was settled that they would not go to work as well.

We took our breakfast under the flashlights and decided to go back to bed. There was nothing to do but wait until the rains and winds stopped. I used my wet towel and slept over it because it was so hot. Husband went to another room so that we wouldn’t get any one room too hot.

It was reported that 2300 PUB clients (Public Utilities Board) had no electricity and that another 1800 from Magic Valley Electric were without it as well. My parents’ area was not affected, however. We had Internet, however. I have a backup battery that lasts about 5-6 hours in case of power failure, and all our PC electronics and router are hooked to that, so husband was keeping track of hurricane news via net. Several of the counties also had tornado warnings. We have a lot of flat desert-like areas and we’ve had tornadoes form before, so it was expected.

Power returned to our area at around 1:30 pm, just when I was about to just serve fruit. ^_^ So we had a decently warmed meal added to the fruit.

At around 3 we left to look around. The gate to my fence tilted over from the rough winds so we will have to replace several boards there; at worst we will have to replace the entire gate, but I don’t think so.

All along the streets the damages were no more than fallen fences and torn trees. I believe in the lower areas of town there were slight flooding, but nothing catastrophic. The Mexican side wasn’t as lucky. Their sewage systems aren’t as good as ours and I learned that many ‘Colonias’ (like subdivisions) had a lot of water damage. Further south there were 2500 families that were left without homes and many more whose homes were at most 2 meters under water. O_o

5 Comments:

At 4:15 AM, Blogger Darv said...

Glad you two made it through decently. The battery backup on my computer only lasts about 15 minutes as opposed to 6 hours though. I have 2 computers plugged into it LOL. =p

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Kitty said...

Thanks Karnov. We did fair it well.

And 15 minutes?! wow... I guess that's enough to save and shut down properly, eh? I only have that main Pc connected to that one, the modems and other peripherals. Of course I had all but the modem and router turned off. We were using Hubby's laptop, which has it's own big battery.

Our backup battery lasted about 5.5 hrs. Close to 1pm it started beeping constantly so that's when I knew it was about to run out. Luckily 30 mins later we got power back, so it worked out well. ^_^

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger Z said...

Glad that you are O.K. and made it through Emily :)

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Darv said...

Well... The monster has 3 disks in it. The server has two. I also have the cable modem and the router hooked into it too as well as the monitor. The speakers and other accesories are not plugged into it though.

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger Z said...

BTW...if you feel like it drop by my blog. I am asking my fellow bloggers to ask me 3 questions of their choice. Come and play :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home