Saturday, July 30, 2005

New Toy


I got lots of toys to experiment and play with.

First, my Abue brought me a bag full of semi-precious and other pretty stones from Mex. These have been polished naturally and have all sort of different forms. They range from half-an-inch to an inch and are of all sorts. I noticed Tiger Eye, Amethyst, Hemathite, and diverse Quartz colors among others (whose names I don’t know). So many that they look like yummy candy.


Pretty Colors!


Well, They haven’t been drilled so I asked for advice at Jewely Crafters on how to proceed with them (tension setting, drilling, or wire wrapping) and based on my expertise and budget, the majority told me to go for wire-wrapping. I do not know how to do any of the techniques :p but I said, what the heck, let’s play around with some wire and see what happens.

I bought a 20 gauge wire in golden and very nice wire cutter plyers ‘cause I am bored of using my heavy-duty scissors to cut eye-pins, etc. So I started with a bit of wire and I made a mess with the twirling here and there and wrapped one stone. It came out awkard but it was my first test. I undid it and then images began to run in my head on how to warp these stones. I need something to go around them and below but not just at all erratic angles. I want it pretty. So I came up with a design that would be like having the stone n the center an ‘petals’ around it. Haven’t done it yet, but it looks good in my head. ^_^

But for loops I need something more, a wig-jig. I told my Hubby that I was going to make mine since I have a bunch of wood pieces on back. So we went to Home Depot and I got a small drill bit and a long thin wooded rod (both 1/8” in diameter). So the plan was to draw a grid on a piece of wood and then drill the holes into the different corners of each drawn square. Then I would cut the rod into 2 inch segment and placed them in each hole. Ta-da! A wig-jig that only cost me $3.39 as opposed to the plastic ones in the craft store at $19.98.

Then Hubby wanted to look at a small TV for one of the rooms so we went to Wal-Mart. We also needed a new hammer (I think I lent mine to my Dad and we haven’t seen it for a while) so while in that area Husband noticed a rotary tool. He kept looking and told me I should get one so that I could add to my toy collection.


And it's cordless too!


^_^

Now I have a small hand-held rotary tool, a round saw, and a drill. Woo-hoo! Another thing that I’ll eventually get is a stump finder and one of those cool laser levers. Yaahhh, then I’ll finally get straight frames.

Okay, well the rotary tool (cordless and a lot lighter than my drill) is pretty much for precision work. I made my wig-jig in about an hour (it’s not polished on all sides or painted yet but it is functional). I suppose using my regular drill it would have taken me about 2 and a half because I would have had to rest after every 5th drill or something.

Oh and I also made this,


Halfway Done


That one I made free-hand so I haven’t tested the wig-jig yet. Why free-hand? Because after I cut another piece of wire I began twirling it around and I said ‘oh! This is nice!’ and just kept going. It is not finished since it dangles around too much and I guess that would be uncomfortable when doing other things, so I will also tie it at the other end and make like a cuff-bracelet of it. I think it’s coming out very nice… but it’s a killer on the fingers.

Maybe I need gloves.

6 Comments:

At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehehehe Welcome to wire making...

you should invest in a soft, rubber hammer and a pair of nylon pliers if you haven't all ready. It'll help your work to lay flat and keep it from getting kinks, bends, and other minor flaws from using regular tools.

^_^

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

forgot to add... they look like jelly beans :D

 
At 3:38 AM, Blogger Darv said...

Cool stuff. You always have some fun projects. =)

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Kitty said...

Lore, yeah I've also discovered that I need one of those metal thingies so that I can hammer upon it. Wood absorbs too much shock, however, I do leave some nice impressions upon it. hehehe. I will be borrowing some cord stripper (is that the name?) to get rid of the insulating material from some copper I just purchased. Those pliers are at least 17 bucks, so my Dad said he could lend me his while I got my own. Wire working is fun! Fingers hurt after a while, but fun!

Karnov, thanks thanks. I finished the bracelet I started and also made some dangling earrings. It came out looking spiffy. ^_^

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Z said...

Oooooh ... I like that. You are very talented :)

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Darv said...

Anvil and Wire Stripper are the proper names =p

Yes, a very good pair of wire strippers will run you about 20 bucks, but they also come with a lifetime warrenty. If they break, return them and get a new pair.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home