Sunday, August 21, 2005

Wacom Tablet


Hubby gave me a tablet! It is 6x8 (actual working area), the stylus comes with an eraser on back (so it’s got the point to draw with and then if I turn it around it automatically uses it as an eraser, no need to change tools in my design program), and a wireless mouse for the tablet.

At first it felt funny since the pen doesn’t work like the mouse too much. The working area is quite different. With a regular mouse (wireless or not) you roll as far as your working area (mouse pad, etc) goes, which generally is about half the screen on the monitor. Then you pick up the mouse, place it back on the lower corner and keep going in order to access the rest of the screen. Basic stuff.

With the pen there is no need to pick up and go back to lower corners. The tablet area covers from corner to corner of the screen. If I click lower left side corner, it touches the START on my Windows. If I click the upper right side corner it touches the X (close button) of whichever application I am using. If I place the pen at the center of the table, it IS the center of the screen. Takes several minutes to get used to Not Wanting to move back to the lower corner to keep going across the screen (that will only take you back to the actual lower corner of the screen, unlike with the mouse).

I did basic stuff with it - open and close applications. Select text, delete, copy, paste. I doodled a few things on my Photoshop (wow! I can do eyelashes!!! No more squarey lines!). My pressure/sensibility for the pen is still far from how it should be, of course. I need to learn to do from thin lines to thick lines with fluent traces, but I’ll get there. I am doing some exercises for it.

First exercise, positioning over the screen. This one helps get used to move the pen around the screen. It’s like learning to walk. Baby steps, baby steps.


Positioning Exercise

4 Comments:

At 6:24 AM, Blogger Darv said...

Tablets are fun to use with photoshop. My friend also was dicking with his with MSN messenger the one day. He was using the draw tab instead of the type tab at the bottom.

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So that's why you've been gone... playing with new toys :P

I so very much want to get my own for my home computer... there just so nice and convenient to have!

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Darv said...

I want one of them too, but I would never get full use of one. The only way I could see really using one is if it was one of the type with the built in monitor. Then you can see exactly where you are drawing.

Of course we have more important things to save for these days. A house for one thing. I would also like to get my computer upgraded someday too.

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Kitty said...

Lore: Yeah it is nice. I can't wait to use it in my 3D works. I am hoping to now be able to follow a lot of those tutorials on hair and clothes' folds that are around. ^_^

Karnov: You mean one of those touch-monitors? Those are neat but I bet they are very expensive. And yes save for that house first! That way you can have that cool entertainment room ^_~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home